Zero Waste For Minimalists

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

"What did you learn today?", I asked my kids.

"Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!", exclaimed my daughter who is always excited to answer every question posted to her.

"What's that all about?" I asked her.

"We shouldn't let anything go to waste! Just like the commercial save my world!" She told me.

Our conversation though was a few weeks ago however, it left a very deep impression at the back of my mind.

5 Rs Approach Towards Zero Waste

So, what my kids learned in school is only 3 Rs - Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.

In actual fact, I learned that for a more holistic approach towards zero waste, we should adopt the 5 Rs - Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (Arranged according to order)

So what does each means?

  1. Refuse (Refuse things which might be FREE but you don't need it)
  2. Reduce (Reduce any wastage)
  3. Reuse (Reuse any stuffs such as plastic containers, tin cans etc)
  4. Recycle (Recycle them if you are unable to reuse it i.e newspaper, magazines etc)
  5. Rot (To be able to decompose food waste or at least to dispose in proper form or order)

Zero Waste For Minimalists Can Be Achievable 

So what can be done if I choose to be a zero waste minimalist?

Well, below I listed out 3 main points which are able to help you (including myself) to achieve that:

  1. Food Packaging - learn to shop in bulk / packaging free items
  2. Product Packaging - learn to make own products (Yeah! you heard me right)
  3. Organic Food Waste - learn to compose food and make them to become useful fertilisers for plants.
So, lets us work hard in achieving zero waste cos its not only good for our pockets, its also benefit the only home we have, Earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life As A Minimalist After One Year

Let It Go!

Why Most Choose To Be A Hoarder?